Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Motivational Quote #10

On a good day, it all blends. I feel a part of a private universe where everything comes together and feels great. - Matthew Shafner, lawyer

I get the Runner's World kick in the butt quote every day.

Most of them are inane things some runner of little consequence has said and it doesn't matter that they're runners of little consequence. It’s just that what they have to say is usually of little consequence. And today’s quote is almost the same as all the rest except for that bit about a private universe which I mistook for public universe, while I was reading it.

I mean to say, I thought he meant running was a way to escape solipsistic mind, the trapped in your own thoughts mind because, for me, running is about escaping from my own narcissism and being part of the world.

I forget my mind. I become nature. I become the city, the trail, the lake. My legs become deer legs, pigeon legs, dog legs, all legs. I’d like to think it’s the thing Buddhists call being or what my friend Al called pre-reflective cogito, the mind experiencing without reflection.
I do not care for the kind of running where runners think about things. All day long, I sort the flotsam and jetsam. Running is for me about escape from that. I really have no idea what this runner meant but I believe I understood what I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment