Thursday, December 24, 2009

Motivational Quote #9

A runner must run with dreams in his heart, not money in his pocket. - Emil Zatopek

When I read that I cried, nothing speaks to the why of doing anything in life like that quote. Alberto Salazar said something similar about going all out or not bothering but that was full of macho bullshit. I mean, I get it. Run with all your heart or don't bother lacing up. Somehow though, this quote speaks to me. Zatopek was offered, by his government, a chance to be a running ambassador for his country but instead he chose to be a janitor because he refused to serve tyranny. This man is the why of running for me. He lived a courageous life. I read one story about how he would be running a race and have a party the night before and so many people would need a place to stay he'd give up his room and go outside to sleep under a tree. He was happy and giving. I aspire to that. Some days I feel like a giant prick. I didn't train at Train.Fight.Win on Sunday because it was my rest day and I wouldn't change that even though it was like the one day we'd get to train with LA and Mike who moved to Denver. I don't run with Christina and Saiju for the same reason. I need balance in my life. I need to give back but not just because there's some kind of karmic debt. That's bullshit. I need to want to give back. How do you build that muscle?

No comments:

Post a Comment