Monday, November 30, 2009

Motivational Quote #1

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, Frank Hebert

I think there is a difference between pain and discomfort. I think that in feeling discomfort we imagine it as pain and that stops us. We get that roiling sick feeling in our guts and instead of driving through the discomfort, we back off because we fear getting sick. Fear of the bear on our backs, at the last few miles, makes us slow down, fear of how it would look to others if we went slow makes us push at the wrong time. Fear the right thing or the wrong thing, its all just fear.

I need to think through things, make decisions based on what I know and what I don't know. If the opposite of love is fear than I must love the hill, embrace the bear. When discomfort comes, I must welcome it as a sign that I pushing passed my limits and then move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment